Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1987 Camaro IROC Z28 5.7L will turn over but not start.

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

how and when did this problem first begin?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About 1 month ago - here is quick background:
Drove this car for a few months after having it parked for a year- I would start up engine like every week and it would start right up but ran kind of rough as in hesitating when I would accelerate and poor gas mileage -for a V8 and sometimes the engine would die at intersections and I would start up again and continue on. I chalked this up to needing a tuneup. Check engine light would come on and go off intermittently - I did get some codes with OBDI scan tool. 33 and 36 but now...

so,,now it doesnt start at all?

will it start with a prime[starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body?]

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will not start unless I spray starting fluid. but then it dies.
Now if Fuel Pump is turning on and pumping gas into container during test- does that rule out the fuel pump as the problem?
My concern is why then did I not get any pressure with pressure tester at fuel rail fitting after I turned key to on.
I am hoping it is not the ECM.
How about my fuel pump relay or pressure regulator?

does the pump run[come on] for the first two seconds when you first turn on the ignition?

you should hope it is the ecm[these obd1 computers only cost around $100+/- now}

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure. I can try and see if I can hear it for the 2 second prime. Can you wait?

yes,,please do

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not hear hear it come on. Although the buzzer turns on when I turn the key to on so that does not help. But I will say no it does not come on.

the fuel pump should come on for the first 2 seconds,,it should come on then go off

if it isnt coming on,i would think your problem is the fuel pump

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but how come the fuel pump does come on when I put 12 volt to G terminal on ALDL and it pumps fuel into container from the fuel feed line.

if the fuel pump is coming on,then i would think you have one of two possible problem,,,,

1-the ignition module

2-the pick-up coil

either of these could kill the fuel injector pulse

this is in the distributer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did I not mention at the very beginning that I replaced Ignition Control Module and tested the Pick Up Coil with multimeter - reading between 2 wires was 779 Ohms which falls between the 500 to 1500 Ohms criteria. And readings from each wire to distributor showed no continuity. Thanks Good bye.

when you tested the module,you may have only checked for spark,the ignition module can kill the injector pulse and still have a spark.

again,if the pump isnt coming on,i would think it is the pump

thanks.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.