Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2002 K1500 4wd Suburban. The switch just blinks to

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is***** have a 2002 K1500 4wd Suburban. The switch just blinks to engage 4wd, on all three buttons 4hi, 4lo, and Auto 4wd. It only stops flashing when I push back on the 2wd switch. I replaced the front actuator located on the front axle.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else to say. It won't engage in 4wd.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked/read out in the transfer case computer at all for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,the first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can read the 4wd computer (not all scan tools can do this so one that can do this is needed).There will be at least one fault code set that will help and lead to the faulty component here.

The most common causes on this year and model was the transfer case actuator on the side of the transfer case failing needing replaced or the 4wd selector switch on the dash itself.Usually it is the actuator on the transfer case that needs replaced or the position sensor inside the actuator as GM had released a bulletin on this sensor to replace it for a code of I believe C0327 that would set in the 4wd computer.

The sensor or actuator can be purchased at a dealer or parts store.The sensor itself is usually around $100 if not less then that but the actuator I have seen up around $400 in some cases.If you can get the codes checked in the 4wd computer and come back here and post them this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete