GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Happy new year
, two weeks after purchasing a used

Customer Question

Customer: hello, happy new year
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: two weeks after purchasing a used (96,000 miles) 2000 Silverado 4x4 5.3 liter, the Check Engine light came on and the truck wont shift into 2nd gear. the error code is P0751 [sol A ] . I changed both solenoids [A and B] since I was there. after refilling with fresh fluid, I expected the problem to be fixed. however, the problem is still there although NO ERROR code is present and the Check Engine Light remains off. the truck will not upshift into 2nd -- either auto or manually. I have to drive in such a way as to skip over 2nd gear and hope the tranny goes into 3rd. not sure about downshifting as it seems to downshift into 2nd sometimes . also, sometimes, the truck has no power (limp mode ??) . thank in advance for any help .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, I will wait a bit .
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

With your transmission, what was the colour of the fluid and condition when you dropped the pan?

When you do drive, do you get 3rd or 4th gear?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1) james, 2) normal red color , a little darker when compared to new, 3) just a little bit of very fine material on the magnet. Pan floor itself was remarkably clean, 4) yes, I have 3rd and 4th .

Ok James, so no second only rules out electrical as it uses the combination of solenoids to perform the shifts.
The band also controls 4th gear so I do need to confirm its shifting to 4th and your not feeling the TCC engaging? What is the RPM at 60 mph?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
glad to hear its not electrical !! I have limited use of this truck because of this issue and don't want to cause additional damage but I believe it shifts into fourth (D) ... but I don't have that RPM value right now. I would say that I believe it performs fine above 2nd gear

Ok, its really important that we get that value. Its often and easily confused and my suggestions change depending on each. If for instance you tell me its 2500 or so, then I would tell you the band is bad.
If you say its around 2200 or less then I would say valve body or the items inside the attached picture.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. I will get the RPM value at 60 mph ... give me an hour or two to report back.

Sounds great. Talk to you then.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i assume that RPM value is on a level grade , with little gas applied (cruising)?? any other info you want when I do this ??

You assume correctly. Nothing else special.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
RPMs are 1755-1770 @ 60 mph on level ground as read from a OBD device and verified with the dash tach..... also, the check engine came on giving the original error code (P0751).... thoughts ??

Still thinking something in the valve body then, and that a good cleaning with new gaskets is the way to go next.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I clean it and what gaskets are you referring to??? I have "medium" level DIY abilities working at home .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
since the original error code came back, does that mean that we can't rule out electrical anymore ??

Here is a bulletin for that code.

Have a look and see what you find, and thanks for your patience.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22552935/My%20Boot%20Camp%20printed%20document-5.pdf