Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I'm working on a rv 7.4 general motors engine 1986 model It

Customer Question

Customer: I'm working on a rv 7.4 general motors engine 1986 model It won't run any faster than 45mph and really bogs down on hills sometimes it backfires a lot I'm trying to replace the distributor spark advance coil but I can't get it to come out all the small bolts are out. It's been 30 years since I've worked on these. I can't remember how it all comes out!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm just making a guess that this will solve the problem I can't find anything else that will do that so I want to replace all the parts inside the distributor and the cap and rotor button
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

if you are trying to remove the pick-up coil in the distributer,the distributor must be removed and took apart,you can not replace it without taking the distributor apart.

with that being said,from the way you explain the problem it sounds as if you have a fuel pressure problem,i would think a clogged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.