Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2002 chevy 1500 5.3 liter no start no CEL.
, truck shut

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** 2002 chevy 1500 5.3 liter no start no CEL.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: truck shut off, showed no gas in tank with key on, cant communicate with pcm message on scan tool, with key on all dash lights work except CEL
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yea
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
scan tool message "cannot communicate with PCM no CEL with key on, erratic voltage at battery when checking between + & - but 12.2 volts when checking + to body ground
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

are the fuses called ECMB and ECM in the under hood fuse blown and if NOT blown do they both show 12 volts with the key ON ?

then in the inside fuse box check the same for the fuse called IGN0 with the key ON

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have checked all fuses all ok, I will check the voltage, another thing I have is on the remote terminal under steering column pin 4 to ground should have continuity mine does not and the only way to show 12 volts is checking between pin 4 (neg) and pin 16 (pos) checking pin 16 to chassis ground shows erratic voltage
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

can you be sure the grounds are clean and tight on the engine ?

or if you run a temp ground from engine to the body ground will the check engine light come back on ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ecm fuse shows 12 volts eng1 show no voltage, when checking battery posts again voltage was flashing between 2 volts and 14 volts
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ECM1 shows NO volts ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no just checked again ENG1 and ECM B both 12 volts, but I cant use neg terminal on battery for a ground,
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

can you run a new ground from the negative battery cable to the engine block ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but not tonight is 7:30 dark and 38 degrees out side!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok let me know

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer