Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2011 Equinox LT and my ABS and Stabilitrak lights

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Equinox LT and my ABS and Stabilitrak lights are on. When I use the brakes, I can hear the Antilock brakes kick in...what can cause this? No warranty.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

I know this may not be the answer you were hoping for, but unfortunately, there is no 1-answer, "it's this..." kind of answer here. There are dozens of parts and sensors that are used in both the ABS and Stabilitrak systems. At this point, the best bet is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes scanned from the on-board computer. These trouble codes will point towards the part/sensor that has the problem and from there, the correct diagnosis and repair can then be made. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone, will have the correct scan-tool to read the codes and will do so for Free (except in California) right in their parking lot. If you cannot find a local part store with the correct scan-tool, then a shop will be needed. With that said... a common fail item on these vehicles that can set both the ABS and Stabilitrak lights is a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor (aka "ABS Sensor). These sensors report info to both systems. Unfortunately, there is one of these sensors at each wheel. To which is faulty, we'd need those diagnostic codes. You can do a preliminary check by inspecting the electrical connectors and wire harnesses to these sensors, looking for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect under the sensor for any debris that may be blocking the sensor from reading the tone ring below. If nothing visual stands out, then unfortunately, we'd need those codes before we can proceed. Sorry I could not be more accurate in my answer, but like I say, there's just too many items at play here to take a guess and be correct. Hopefully I gave you some insight into the problem and started you down the correct path. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Kerri! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in with you to see how you made out. Was there any other questions you had on this issue?