Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2004 Silverado stuck in 4wd
, 4wd light is on

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2004 Silverado stuck in 4wd
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 4wd light is on pushing 2wd all lights flash and stays in 4wd high
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ill keep trying to find something to try next ,I have changed switch and actuator, and cleaned ground
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

did this start out of the blue all of the sudden ?

has anything been done yet to correct this issue yet ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Service 4wd as been on for a while
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Big snow storm the other day , put it in 4wd got out of drive way, went to put it into 2wd and all lights flash on 4wd selector,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
stuck in 2wd , then got it back into 4wd not will not disengage from 4wd, changed dash switch and actuator, cleaned ground on frame and still won't shift from 4wd
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

usually when that is on there is a code set in 4WD computer

most of these end up being the encoder motor on the drivers side of the transfer case going bad which will cause this issue

ideally knowing the code would lead us 100 % to the area

if you have no access to a scan tool to read 4WD codes then the best action to take is to make sure the fuse called TREC in the under hood fuse box is good and the fuse called 4WD in the inside fuse box is good

if those fuses are good then remove the encoder motor off the drivers side of the transfer case and see if you can shift the stem the motor connects tyo off the case if you can shift it by hand with a wrench or vice grips then replace the encoder motor if you can NOT shift it by hand make sure the fluid in the case is full if it is then there is something internally inside the case causing this issue which it would need to come out and apart to be fixed

you can always get me back for FREE through this post anytime with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please as as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

how are you making out ?