GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a brand new 2015 Chevrolet Cruze with the eleven

Customer Question

I have a brand new 2015 Chevrolet Cruze with the eleven thousand miles on it. Today it was smoking after I parked it I open the hood and the coolant is about half level, I immediately called my Chevrolet dealer and got the car to the service department. On my way to the dealership my car in Philly overheated in less than 2 seconds the temperature was normal to all the way too hot in less than 2 seconds. There was no warning light on the instrument panel other than it telling me I needed to turn my air conditioning off cuz my engine was hot. Have you heard of this happening before with a 1.4L?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Erica,

We have that a lot with Cruze.

Get the car towed to your dealer asap for warranty repair.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's your expertise answer? You expect me to subscribe for your expert advice when my 4 year old son could have told me I should go get it fixed?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Erica,

I have been a mechanic for 35 years.

I have suggested to you, to get the car towed to the dealership.

Your observation of "smoking", and then lifting the hood is commended, but the dealer not requesting the vehicle to be towed is dumb on their part, especially for a vehicle under warranty.

A vehicle's cooling system is made up of many parts, some are more prone to failure.

To say what part has failed would be guessing, it could be a leaking or damaged hose, it could be a damaged radiator, it could be a thermostat, head gasket, cooling fan, or an electronic issue.

Driving the vehicle to a now overheated condition has probably hurt the engine.

I have given you a simple answer to a simple question.

Regards

Gary