GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Channa, I have a 96 Chevy 1500 that when I start driving it,

Customer Question

Customer: Channa, I have a 96 Chevy 1500 that when I start driving it, it will start off normal then all of a sudden barely go and the rpms drops to between 1-5.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Listen I'm a single mother of 2 with no support making $12 an hour and this has costed me so much with everyone telling me to do this and that, I have been doing all the repairs myself. Changed out all sensors, 2 spark plugs (because I gave the guy to go buy all new spark plugs but the guy took my money and didn't come back) changed starter, plug wires all new, fuel filter, fuel pump. hooked back up my broken muffler, and when I finished doing it all the truck started right up and then drove good for about 1 mile then went back to puttering along.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am real sorry for the long wait

so this truck has a 5.7 engine in it ?

new fuel pump and fuel filter ?

and codes set in the computer at all ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all new. But I'm not for sure about codes set in the computer? What do you mean by that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Engine is a 4.3, The code diagnostic machine showed P0171 when they put it on the machine. If you want you can text/call me on my cell since the cell is generally with me(###) ###-#### ***** you for any help.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

do you know what the fuel pressure is key ON engine OFF and will it hold for a bit or drop to 0 very fast ?

the fuel filter is new ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm going to take it to Autozone and have them put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Is there more than 1 fuel filter on the truck? Someone told me it has 3.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

there is only one under the truck on the inner frame rail

see what the fuel pressure is key ON engine OFF and also note if it holds the PSI for a few seconds or if it drops to 0 very fast key ON engine OFF

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
with a gas pressure gauge on it reads only 12.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Paying $18 dollars would of been better than typing my question and a 1 1/2 I finally get another question. Each day its just ask another question. You guys don't have anybody that is on line during regular business hours to answer questions back and fourth. So paying the original fee was pretty much a waste of time.