Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Passlock issue - Key broke off in

Customer Question

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Passlock issue - Key broke off in ignition cylinder and car would not start. Replaced ignition cylinder with new one. Attempted the relearn procedure. Did not work after the first 10 minutes. Proceeded to do the 30 minute relearn procedure but after the first 10 minutes of the thirty minute procedure, it started, so we assumed it was fixed, and backed it out of the shop. However, it is once again starting and shutting off immediately. We attempted the relearn procedure but it is not accepting the relearn. We turn the key to the on position, crank and let off, engine starts and stops, waits full 10 minutes, then turn the switch to off, wait 20 seconds, then turn the switch back to on position, then crank it, and it will start and stall, and continue to do that. But, we've noticed the Theft light only flashes about 7 times, and then quits flashing, instead of continuing to flash for the 10 minutes of the relearn procedure. What is going on with this stupid car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

It is likely that the theft learn needs to be done with a tech2 or a programmer.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. Please remember that your rating should be based on the service you received. Not if you were unhappy about the results. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Update: was able to successfully relearn the car yesterday when it was warm out... this morning at 7 degrees, it had gone back into passlock. Temperature seems to be playing a role?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Temperature should not affect it. If it is it is possible that the BCM is causing your problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would you suspect the body control module?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I meant IPC. The cluster is the module for the security system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we test the cluster to ensure it is faulty? The clusters don't seem to be problematic, but know of issues with wiring going to the cluster chafing which is why we asked for the uart diagram.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I dont see where you requested the UART Diagram. I have attached a diagram of the pass key system

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I dont know what the UART system would help with as the passkey system is not on the bus