GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2011 Duramax 6 speed. shift inhibitor message came up today.

Customer Question

2011 Duramax 6 speed. shift inhibitor message came up today. I was able to get back home, but every time I shift, it slips out of gear and i have to turn off the engine and re-start, then I can shift once and it changes gears with difficulty, but if i change the shift lever, it falls out of gear and shows the shift inhibitor massage again. I checked the fluid in hot condition 4 times, it is just up to the hot hash marks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, Happy New year. Sorry to hear about this issue to bring in 2016. Lets see what we can do.

When you say it slips out of gear, you mean this happened and you need to reset it to make it go again?

Does it do this if you run it in Manual position with the thumb switch in 6?

Do you have the means to get the codes that are set when it comes up with that message?