BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2008 Tahoe hybrid and the rear latch won't unlock.

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Tahoe hybrid and the rear latch won't unlock. I replaced the latch and the external actuator switch but still nothing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you can get the door open? Do all of the other doors work fine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rest of the doors work fine.
I have added a hockey shoelace I pull on to get rear tailgate open. Without the shoelace it will not open at all.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Just so I make sure that I understand completely, when you try pulling the door open it will not open like it is locked. I am assuming that the lace pulls the lock lever up to unlock it so you can open it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I try to open the tailgate it does always act like it is locked.
My laces allow me to open the tailgate regardless is the vehicle is locked or not. If it is opened while locked the alarm does go off. Does that make sense?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

That does make sense. When you press the lock and unlock do you hear the lock actuator making noise in the door?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My regular doors are making noise but the tailgate does not make any noise.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. It sounds like the lock actuator in the door is bad. Do you have a voltage meter to run some tests?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have a voltage meter however it's fairly old.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

So that I know where to begin, do you have the door panel off and can you easily access the actuators in the door?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the panels are off
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

This is a power lftgate also, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it is not
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Ok. On the rear lock actuator you need to locate the connection with the tan and gray wire. Disconnect the connector and place your meter between the two terminals. When trying to lock and unlock the gate see if there is a voltage reading on the meter. If not then the PCB relay in the fuse box under the dash may be the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would you have a picture?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not have a diagram of the actuator itself. All I have is the wiring diagram for it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for late reply. Been busy this week.I disconnected the connector at the latch. Hooked up voltage meter to the pink with black trace which read voltage all the time. (12v). Kept volt meter grounded to black line and test rest of the terminals and did not get a voltage reading when trying to lock and unlock. Sorry did not see gray and tan at all. Attached are photos of the connector for 2 profiles.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

When you press the liftgate switch do you get power at the light blue wire?