Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

1996 Silverado with push buttonjust put in tccm push 4 gh on

Customer Question

1996 Silverado with push button*****just put in tccm push 4 high on switch and both 4 high and 4 low light come on and 4wd does not work 2wd ligh on switch never comes on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was the 4wd push button switch itself replaced?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that was where I was headed next bit looking for advise before throwing more parts at it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,on this year the switch was the most common cause for the lights lighting up in both 4low and 4high positions but one common issue was the actuator on the transfer case would short out and cause a short in the 4wd computer causing the computer to fail as well.If the computer was to be replaced before the actuator was replaced this would damage the new computer instantly to where it would need replaced again after the actuator on the transfer case is replaced.I just want to make sure you know this for now and future reference on this model and to make sure your actuator is o.k.

Below is a diagnostic procedure to test the switch control and TCCM operation to help identify that the switch is the cause here (I suspect it is since everything else is either o.k. or has been replaced).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d9akpq656yafbj/d-12-30.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmfqzzjzq71gi7p/di-12-30.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete