rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Code 35 on my 1995 k1500 5.7
, i just put in a

Customer Question

Customer: code 35 on my 1995 k1500 5.7
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i just put in a replacement engine and transmission on my 1995 k1500 the truck now has a edelbrock intake that has been bore out to match the Holley tbi 2in bore. my code 35 keep coming up. cant figure it out - just replaced the IAC valve and now it cranks a while before starting - used to fie right up. also - seem to have alot of moisture in the exhaust? runs very hot to the touch at tail pipe. never did that before the engine swap. engine is a gm crate motor. please help. i have extra grounds in place as well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thing!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my coolant sensors, map sensors, distributor, wires, plugs, pcv valve, and all vacuum hoses are all new as well as the knock sensor. and i tried spraying starting fluid and brake clean around the throttle body for vacuum leaks - know change in idle. the engine idles about 700 to 750 rpm. the base time is set at 8 degrees before top dead center.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It appears that you created this code with the non-stock equipment that was installed. There may also be a broken or shorted wire that relates to that circuit. You can also try this re-learn procedure that I attached and see if that helps.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my skill level is very high - i build hot rods for a hobby and can tackle any mechanical issue - but the computer systems had me stumped on this one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i will disconnect the battery terminals and follow your procedure tomorrow and get back with you in the results. should i get the engine back to the zero btdc? or leave at the 8 degress btdc?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Ok, leave it at 8 degrees for now.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did what you recommended and cleared the computer - drove for close to 30 mins through traffic and on the highway - and now the code 35 comes up everytime i stop. i checked all around for leakes with carb spray and now change in the idle. What next?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no change in idle.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Changing from stock to what you did is never a good idea, it changes all the parameters of what was designed into the vehicle by the engineers. I would put everything back the way it was. Sorry.

Thanks again, Ron