Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Do I need to change both head gaskets if only a problem with

Customer Question

do I need to change both head gaskets if only a problem with number 5 cylinder on V6
Submitted: 11 months ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

You don't "need" to replace both head gaskets if only one is faulty, however, most commonly, when one side fails, the other side isn't far behind. Most shops will recommend both be done at the same time, while they are in there. No sense in doing one side only to have the other side fail shortly after and then have to go through all that labor all over again. It's like preventative maintenance. While you're in there, you might as well do it.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dale, I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in to see if there was any other questions you had on this issue?