Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2000 4.3 Blazer won't start. Has gotten progressively worse.

Customer Question

2000 4.3 Blazer won't start. Has gotten progressively worse. After inspecting distributor cap, the boot on one spark plug wire was not seated all the way, but didn't start after pushing it back on.
When it does start it seems rough at first. After it runs, it runs fine. Mostly starts right away on dry (non-humid days)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall., Have you done anything other then re seat the plug wire?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Recharged several times to try cranking until battery wears down.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** year/engine and design had terrible problems with cracked dist caps or ones that have carbon tracks in which any moist/damp day , spark will jump all over inside of the cap and making starting very difficult and can also cause misfiring, we deal with these caps all the time, My recommend? new cap/rotor at minimum and if budget allows? do wires at same time, I am very confident this will resolve the issue, It is a design of the caps , kind of poor at best but they dont cost much, failry easy to change and all should be just fine, BTW; it lies very close to the under hood , hood seal so when it rains, water can seep to the top of the cap and if cap is in any way comprimised? cracked etc? you will have the exact same problems you mention

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had already called my wife to have her bring home a new distributor cap and rotor.
1. Any keys to doing this, and any moisture prevention sprays or anything to apply as part of the process?
2. Is this an easy job tool-wise and access-wise.
I'm reasonably handy.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any particular recommended brand of cap/rotor?

sorry , cant remember if phillips screws hold that cap or like 5 mm socket. they vary, nope just remove cap with wires on it, slip rotor off, put new cap on and put wires on exact same posts as the old were, or youcan put tape ont eh wires to mark each of them for location, sprays? well good question and silicone spray inside of cap never hurts, Brand? hard to say, they are all about the same, AC Delco is the factory brand,All the aftermarkets are just fine, keep in mind, the more you pay? when they give you options? probably the better quality

here is a link to a diagram that will help in case you mess up wire locations

Hello, did you get it ? if not I am still here to help, Please rate my service provided today, This post will not be closed even after rating my service and you can come back to same post at no add'l fee . Many thanks and hope all goes ok with the repair