Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 08 impala ss. I changed the battery and now my

Customer Question

I have a 08 impala ss. I changed the battery and now my antitheft system,autostart and tire monitor system doesnt work. How do i reset the system?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I did was put a new battery in. It starts but the check tire moniter system light comes on and nothing works on the tramsmitter.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

First thing that needs done is to check and make sure no fuses had shorted out due to a voltage surge/spike.In some cases this can occur when replacing the battery.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. try holding lock and unlock down on the transmitter at the same time standing next to the vehicle for about 15 seconds and see if that relearns the transmitter.

Your tire pressures may need relearned as well since the battery was replaced.Try this procedure if you can get the remote working to relearn the tire position sensors.

1. Set the parking brake. 2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off. 3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's lock and unlock buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen. 4. Start with the driver side front tire. 5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position. 6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. 7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. 8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off. 9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF. 10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label. 11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My antitheft system doesnt work. The remote transmitter doesnt set the alarm or starts the car and also my tire monitor system doesnt work either. The technique you recommended isnt the problem. I need to know how do i reset the anti theft system so i can set my alarm lock and unlock the doors and use auto start. I can reset the tire monitor system once i get my anti theft system working. The transmitter battery is good too so thats not the problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Did you try holding the lock and unlock down on the remote/transmitter standing next to the vehicle holding these buttons for up to 15 seconds to see if the transmitter then works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just tried and it didnt work
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Does your vehicle have the drivers information center on the dash and if it does does it give you an option/selection to program the remote/transmitter at all as some of these models have this feature?

" Important: - On some vehicles, keyless entry transmitters may also be programmed using the driver information center (DIC). Refer to the vehicle owners manual for information."

If not then the remotes/transmitters need re programmed using a dealers tech 2 scan tool.Unfortunately I do not see any other manual way besides through the drivers information center if equipped for this model here.If you want I can post the Tech 2 scan tool procedure on how this is done.I know a dealer may charge anywhere from a half hour to an hour to do this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has it. What do i need to do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I press the check mark to reset it and it just blinks
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Try this procedure:

1.Insert key and switch the ignition ON (just shy of starting vehicle without starting engine)

2. Press vehicle information button until PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY is displayed.

3. Press the set/reset button (button will have a checkmark) until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE is displayed. Vehicle is now in programming mode.

4. Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time on first remote for approximately 15 seconds. An acoustic signal will be heard indicating successful programming.

5. Repeat step 4. to program additional remotes. You can have up to 8 programmed remotes for this vehicle. You must program ALL remotes including existing remotes.

6. To exit programming mode turn ignition OFF, remove key and test all remotes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It says press check mark to relearn remote key. When i press the check mark it just blinks it doesnt say anything
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

And to be sure this is with the key on correct?

If so disconnect the battery again for about 3 minutes then reconnect it and see if it then relearns and let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Didnt work
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

This sounds like a fault is present with the remote control door lock receiver itself.It may have received a voltage surge when the battery was replaced and may have become damaged.I have seen this occur before and had to replace the receiver for this issue here.Check and make sure all fuses are food that none have blown.If no fuses are found blown I suspect the receiver itself is at fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I look at the owners manuel to see what fuses i need to check and it doesnt tell me. What fuses do i need to check?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

The only fuse I see myself on this here is the trunk fuse located in the instrument panel fuse block.Check and make sure this fuse is o.k.If it is found to be o.k. this sounds like a fault with the receiver itself.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The guy that put the battery in said that when he put the battery in and was tightening the positive post it grounded out.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I had to run out last night and couldnt get back here.

If the battery cables were shorted out check and make sure all fuses are o.k. in case any fuse had shorted out and if any are found blown the affected fuse needs replaced.If all are found to be o.k. this sounds like a fault with the receiver needing replaced as this may have shorted when the cables arced.

Thanks Pete