rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 1992 Silverado radio stopped working it corrected itself

Customer Question

My 1992 Silverado radio stopped working it corrected itself but now refuses to play . Its stock with cassette and equalizer. There is power to the radio but it's stuck at 1oclock and on channel 98.1 . There is a amp. Can you help me ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Exact same issue with my truck too, same year and all. The radio needs to be replaced or repaired if you can find a company that fixes them. I haven't addressed mine yet other than looking into a nice aftermarket one with a cd player.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Really? You charged me thay much $ for providing absolutely zero technical assistance? It's pretty obvious the radio needs to be replaced. I didn't know if there was a fuse somewhere or a malfunction with the amp. I would think $5 would be more than adequate for such a convenient answer. If charged what was quoted ($28), I will absolutely reply with a poor rating. Nothing personal, but $28 for such a simple answer without any possible diagnosis or technical advice is completely unjustified.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

No technical assistance to supply, the radio is bad with the symptoms you gave me. Sorry for the bad news, but please don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Has nothing to do with shooting the messenger...you charged me $28 for a simple answer that required no effort. You knew how simple the answer was, yet threw out a value of $28 for such useless info? Do you honestly feel 30 bucks is warranted? Please don't bother responding if you aren't going to adjust your fee. $28 is an absolute rip off.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

I'm really sorry you're so upset about this, but I have no control about what is broken on customer's cars and /or how complex the answer is going to be. Respectfully, ***** ***** tell me what you were wanting to hear? I told you the truth and was very honest with you.

Thanks, Ron