BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2008 Silverado Z71 LTZ, stuck in 4 wheel drive. When try to

Customer Question

2008 Silverado Z71 LTZ, stuck in***** When try to put in reverse (automatic transmission) whining sound, won't go into gear, speedometer will Rev in speed like it's driving, does not happen in other gears, will go into foward gears. Both problems started same time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me what the*****lights are doing? Is the check engine light on? Any other warning lights on the dash?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
4 wheel light is on (rotary dial). Has message to service 4 wheel die system no other lights, nothing referencing issue of not being able to go in go into reverse. No check engine light on.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. If the vehicle is not going into reverse then you either have a failure in the transmission or in the transfer case. Most of the time it is the transmission. You need to remove the transmission pan and inspect the fluid for metal. If there is metal then the transmission needs to be rebuilt. If it is fine then remove the encoder motor from the transfer case and see if it disengages as it may have seized up. The only other typical issue is with the transfer case itself locking in place internally. When this occurs though it typically makes noise. I hope this helps. If you need further assistance please let me know.