Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

J_ramsey,
, j_ramsey, I have a 89 Chevy C1500 with a

Customer Question

Customer: Hey j_ramsey,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hey j_ramsey, I have a 89 Chevy C1500 with a 305 and a 700r4 trans. My trans is giving me some weird problems, When I start it up and shift it into any gear it just goes forward. When I put it into reverse it locks up and doesn't move forward or reverse (like I have a trans brake or something of that sort). If I put it in drive it shifts through the gears ok, but if I put it in first gear and pull out and slack the throttle it seems like it slips into neutral, than when I shift it into 2nd manually it up shifts to 2nd, but again when I slack the throttle it sort of slips into neutral again. But if I pull out with it in drive it shifts normally, is it an easy fix or is my trans shot....? I didn't change the filter or anything yet.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

im going to save you allot of time and trouble here and just be blunt.

the transmission is shot,it will need to be rebuilt or replaced..i would think the low/reverse clutches are bunt out among aother possible components..

there is no easy fix,,sorry

thanks

Please understand ,i rebuild these transmissions everyday.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gonna try changing the filter and oil, and gonna check valve body. Heard that these 700R4 valve bodies are known to warp. I have a 5 speed trans that I want to install with a dual friction Center force clutch. But gonna overhaul 700r4.... Mahalo ***** ***** info....aloha

i wouldnt think this valve body is warped,,these are cast steal,not aluminum..

again,i wouldnt think replacing the fluid or the valve body will help..

sorry,i am just being honest with you

thanks

and you are very welcome

.