Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I took out and replaced my center council on my 02 Chevy

Customer Question

I took out and replaced my center council on my 02 Chevy trailblazer EXT, put it all back together... Then a hour later went to go to the store and my shifter would only shift down, not up? How do I fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

the shifter was fine before the console was replaced ?

it will shift into D and R but not into park ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For instance, I turned my car on after putting the shifter back on, I put it in D, then Tryed to shift up to park but it only went as far as neutral but had not problem go back downtown D, D3,D2,D1, and before I replaced my councils etc... It never had any problem, is there a fuse or something I need to pull to reset my car or something?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

if the console is back off will it still do this ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok was looking at the shifter again, so it has no problem shifting down, but when I shift out of D" it will only go up to N" not past N" which is R" and then P"
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 11 months ago.

Different mechanic here.

Is the console still off?

Check this fuse first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/25.PNG

Next, a park lock solenoid manual release lever is located on the top right side of the floor shift assembly, under the gearshift lever trim boot. To operate the manual release lever, block the wheels and apply the parking brake. Lift the gearshift lever boot to expose the release lever. Push the release lever toward the front of the vehicle and move the gearshift lever to the Neutral position.

One of those should work, if not let me know.

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.