Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 99 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 L diesel and my fuel gauge

Customer Question

I have a 99 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 L diesel and my fuel gauge and lighting has gone crazy. When I step on the brakes the fuel gauge Paiges to way past full when I let off the brakes it reads empty although the tank is half-full. This happens if I turn on my blinker turn on my headlights or my hazards. My first thought was a direct short.
I replaced my gauge cluster and although new and shiny the problem still remains.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It Pegs out... Not paiges..
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 11 months ago.

The problem is a bad ground at the taillights. When the turn signal or brake is used, these circuits try to pull a ground through the park light circuit, which also affects dash lighting. Check the black ground wire at the rear drivers side frame rail. If this ground is okay then the problem is in the bulb socket plates at the taillights . These are easily replaced and most parts stores keep them in stock (common problem).