GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax try to start and won't crank

Customer Question

Have 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax try to start and won't crank and none of the gauges come to life except the battery gauge and service engine light.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Is it possible that the battery is dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries are fine plenty of voltage. The truck ran fine last night also this isn't the first time this has happened. Usually it is resolved by time.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

These truck have a reputation for ignition switch problems. can you cycle the key several times and see if it lights up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that and nothing.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I am having internet problems today. I will opt out so someone else can help you. Good luck and have a good Christmas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Merry Christmas. Do you still need assistance?

If so, try this.
Pop the tilt lever out and take the lower trim of the column off. With your multimeter set to DC volts, place the red lead on the red wire. With the switch turned on, test the other leads with the black wire. Record the reading and let me know what those are. Repeat the test on the red/white wire. test each red/red with a stripe to ground.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps I just replaced the ignition switch with a new one and I'm having this problem

It does. So next we need to check the power into the ignition switch. There are 2 thick red wires, one with a stripe. DO both have power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fixed it, stuck relay.

Perfect. I hope you replaced it.

Is there more i can get you?