AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 s10 zr2 4.3l tbi vortec manual the truck revs up to

Customer Question

2001 s10 zr2 4.3l tbi vortec manual the truck revs up to 3000 -3500 rpm after it warms up and does it by its self what could cause this
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine stall out at times? Does it start hard at times? Is the check engine light on or are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The check engine light is on but it starts and runs fine it just revs up randomly
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Do you know the code number in the computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I dont have access to an obd2 reader
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, no problem. I can still give you some possible causes as to what can be wrong causing this high idle or engine reving condition.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

The most common cause would be either an air or vacuum leak or bad throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttle body. Sometimes the throttle body itself or the throttle body cable/linkage will stick preventing the throttle plate from closing all of the way. This will cause the rpm's to go higher than normal by itself.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Another possible cause would be a bad/lazy idle air control motor. It can stick open causing more air to enter the engine causing this high engine idle

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

I would start by opening the hood and looking around for air/vacuum leaks. Listen for a hissing sound indicating a vacuum leak. Look close by the air intake system.. intake manifold and gasket and throttle body and gasket and fix or replace anything that is leaking vacuum. Sometimes it is just a sinple vacuum hose or line leaking causing this sort of condition.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

If there ae no air or vacuum leaks, I would suspect a bad TPS sensor (throttle position sensor) or a bad idle air control motor. I would go after those next as those two would be the most likley causes of a high idle if there are no air or vacuum leaks.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Merry Christmas!!!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

.