camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Need to know what type of bit is needed to remove steering

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, need to know what type of bit is needed to remove steering column shroud on 2008 silverado
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: changing the ignition switch
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: 0k
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've used a torx 25 it was to big to fit in the hole and a 20 that wouldnt connect to screw. i cant see what type of screw it is, or if its an allen screw or phillips or something else.
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

IT is in face a torx 25 screw, but a multibit screw driver will not work. you will need a dedicated t25 screwdriver

do you have any access to other t25 drivers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i bought a dedicated 25 torx driver and the shaft was to big to fit in the hole in the bottom cover
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i bought a dedicated t25 driver and it wouldnt fit in the hole a t20 did but guess it was too small

i have run into this a few times .

i have a seperate set of thin walled torx screw drivers that i use for gm columns.

i have had to grind sockets on some of these too as some of the older ones required a thin wall 9/32 socket, so i ground one down to fit inside, lol.

some have been philips head in the past, but these body style have been t25 for a while now.

i would try and locate another t25 from somewhere. perhaps another brand..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just for your info, in case someone ask this question again there is no screws holding the shroud together its just snaps together. just a flat head screwdriver to the split line and it comes apart with no problem, then put them together and snap it shut.

Thanks for the update.

I knew there was two types, one with the screws and one with clips.

I assumed you had the one with screws as I thought you felt a screw head when inserting the smaller t20.

glad you got it!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like to request an refund, for i didnt receive the correct answer, i wished you said was held together with clips for i wouldnt had bought another tool and ground the shaft down.

No problem

I will forward to customer service

for your deposit return.

Just for future referance...

we can not see or feel your vehicle , we can only give advice on the info you give us.

Thanks