Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

No spark The CKP has 12V in good ground on middle wire and

Customer Question

No spark The CKP has 12V in good ground on middle wire and 10.7 on yellow wire all the time as engine is turned over by hand . I thought it should have braking 5V as turn engine by hand , so put new CKP in does the same . Just hanging there it reads the 10.7 I thought it should read 0 v. ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

With connector unplugged you should have 0 at middle wire. Plugged in it should vary 0-12

Do you have a scanner? Do you have RPM on scanner while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
on the scanner no it showed nothing but could have cleared it because it showed an o2 S problem . I replaced bolth of them. No on the RPM If the question is it cranking fast .yes . Is the middle wire not a ground . It checks as a ground

Do you have an RPM reading while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the rpm gauge on the dash does not move when I crank it. More history on the truck; the truck misfired for the last 25000 miles. Then the truck got harder to start in the last 2000 miles, after sitting. Once about 2000 miles ago, the fuel pump quit. Put a new one in. Truck got harder to start after sitting for a few days. Then would not start. Could hear the fuel pump for the first few seconds so checked spark and have no spark. Assumed ignition module was the problem, so replaced it. No difference. So have been researching and have been told how to check the crank sensor, but the old sensor and the new sensor check the same. Still no spark with the new sensor in. My question is, how do I check the crank sensor to see if I'm checking it correctly.

Do you have a scanner with RPM data on it? Check for RPM while cranking.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have a Innova Scanner but can't figure out how to find rpm cranking data.

Does it have a data list? There should be RPM or engine speed parameter. See if you have a value while cranking.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can not find any thing that gives me a R P M reading . I put the scanner on it while cranking And nothing came up

no engine speed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No no engin speed

I am unsure how I can assist. I am going to opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the help . There has to be a way to check the the CKP. I can hear all the other components on engin activat when I plug it in and at no time do they shut down nomatter whether the CKP is out or not opposite a point or open
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

sense ou have no spark,can you remove the distributor cap,,does the rotor turn with the engine?

do yo have a spark on the coil wire from the coil?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good thought on the dis. But no spark at the coil wire
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did not check the dis tonight but will in the morning .

ok..let me know if it is turning.

if it is turning and you have no spark,,the likley problem is the ignition module

these modules can just die sometimes..

auto zone and most parts stores have a machine that will test the module if you take it off and take it to them

the icm [ignition control module] is located on the coil bracket

if the distributor rotor doesnt turn,i would think your problem is a stripped gear on the distributor[not a likely problem]

the likley problem is the icm not the crank sensor

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the dis turns . And feels solid . I had put a new ign mod first . Did you read the history I sent to Samuel ? I am really interested in knowing how to check the CPS . I am not getting the 5 v brake as have been told I should have on cranking the motor by hand . I put in a new CPS but it had tracks on it like it had been in before . We live 150 miles form town in the woods . I retired from mechanic before the Vortec . I am getting 12V on the pink wire on the CKS and at the I C and at the coil , have checked the grounds on all three by checking with test lite from + battery. As far as I understand the spark is started at the CPS .

hi

do you get battery voltage on the + side of the coil?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the red wire going into the coil yes 11.8 . There is no + or - side exeped the 3 wire in and the coil wire out to the dist

sorry i missed you..

tell me,does the crank sensor not put off 5 volts while cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now you are there . No the new one and the old one put out 10.7 all the time nomatter if over a point or not on the crank . I have been turning the motor over by hand to read this . I think I have 2 bad CKP . What do you think ? Did I check it wright?l just was baffled by two bad ones and needed to have a second opinion. Thank you so much . No hurry . The holiday and Sunday

sorry,i keep missing you.

you need to checking the voltage while turning the engine...

you may have a bad relutor wheel at the timing chain[what the crank sensor reads].

be sure to check the wire harness at the crank sensor and the plug that connects to the sensor,,we have had trouble with these in the past
thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will check that first thing in the morning . Thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0ay1u0eogb6ygi/1227-chevy-truck-Crankshaft%20Position.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/l0ay1u0eogb6ygi/1227-chevy-truck-Crankshaft%20Position.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Testing with the starter we get 8.6 V constant

no voltage when not cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it has 10.7 all the time if key is on

ok..

stand by,,perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pulled the CKP out of our V6 ,98 blazer whitch runs fine and there was no ohm from power to the yellow out put wire and on the one in the tr has 5 .2 ohms