rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

1999 k1500 5.3 auto random no crank. Replaced starter..still

Customer Question

1999 k1500 5.3 auto random no crank. Replaced starter..still no crank. Next day started fine. Drove for two weeks then won't crank again..sitting two days still nothing. Have 12v to main lug on starter..momentary 12v to ign switch post. Jump starter and engine will crank but not fire. Can hear fuel pump..and fuel rail prime when key is turned on. No security light..tried moving column and shifter nothing works. What would cause a no crank...but when I jump starter cause engine not to fire.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

At the time this is happening, is when you need to check for power to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have constant power to the lower left lug..I have power to the small lug from ign switch..but it goes from .20 and rises to 11 then drops again even while holding key in crank possition. When I cross power lug and ign switch lug starter cranks but engine will not fire up. Like its being told not to run by comp. I am a Navy jet mechanic.. rebuilt motors and can read wires..trying to aid a friend..not my truck.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this may be a security problem that's intermittent then. The best thing to do is attach a scan tool and ping all the nodes seeking codes and security data.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont have a scan tool.. my code reader shows nothing..Have tried all 3 keys I have.. no security light flashes. .reset pass code through radio several times.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

A code reader won't read all the modules. We really need to access the other ones too, not just the PCM. Most parts stores will loan out a scan tool for a deposit.

Thanks, Ron