Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Greetings, I have a 2003 Trailblazer w/4.2 l6 with the

Customer Question

Greetings, I have a 2003 Trailblazer w/4.2 l6 with the dreaded engine knock that seems so common. I got the vehicle free and the knock was already there I so don't know how it developed. At this point, I can't tell if it's coming from the top of the engine or the bottom. From what I was told, The crank bearings/seals, fan clutch, water pump, all the pulleys and tensioners have been replaced. Any guesses on where to go from here is appreciated.
Thanks, Dale
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

With what has been changed already I would start with a oil pressure test and an oil sample test.

A screwdriver and you ear will be the easiest way to determine. Hold the screwdriver against your ear and the engine determining where the noise is most prevalent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil pressure is normal and freshly changed. With a little Slick 50 for good measure.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

An oil pressure test is done at a port different from where the gauge gets its reading. I suspect you have a worn cylinder head dropping oil pressure causing the knock. Due to the amount of metal that is removed I strongly suggest not attempting to repair if this is the case.

Slick 50 can not do what they advertise.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.