Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Broken retainer bolt in rear end of 98 Tahoe. this bolt

Customer Question

broken retainer bolt in rear end of 98 Tahoe. this bolt holds the spacer pin that has to be removed to get the clips off to remove axles. this bolt broke off at the end of threads
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

I've been exactly where you are with this problem many times. I've been lucky sometimes and used a magnet and a steel scribe to pick/turn and remove the pin. I've removed the side bearing cap and tapped the bolt loose with a thin punch and a scribe and removed it with a magnet. There are Differential Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt Extractor Kits, I've used these several times. I think mine came from NAPA.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

I found a video showing how to use a Differential Bolt Extractor. Albeit the tech has the chunk out and on a bench it is a good display of how to use this tool.

Hope this helps, let me know.
Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

I noticed you had viewed my answer. Were you successful in removing the broken bolt? I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks so much.