Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2013 Cruze 45,000 trouble code po171. Where should I start?

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, 2013 Cruze 45,000 trouble code po171. Where should I start?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: check engine light on rough idle, light will not go out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first, I need to know which engine - the 1.4L turbo or the 1.8L non-turbo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1.4L
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

There are many, many causes of a lean code on this engine

* Mass air flow (MAF) sensor signal skewed.

* Fuel contamination.

* Missing, restricted, or leaking exhaust components.

* Malfunctioning fuel injectors.

* Split, kinked, or improperly connected vacuum hoses

* Insufficient fuel in the tank

* Low fuel pressure.

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the injector O-rings.

* Leaks in the air induction system and the air intake ducts

* Missing air filter element

* Cracked EVAP canister

* Evaporative pipes obstructed or leaking

* Leaks in the crankcase ventilation system

Being that it idles rough, we need to first start by checking for any air leaks. With engine idling, spray some carb cleaner on each vacuum hose, the air intake tube, the throttle body, pcv hose, turbo hoses, and finally around the base of the intake manifold one at time.

If idle smooths out when one is sprayed, that is your culprit and will need to repair the leak.

If no changes, then fuel pressure will need to be tested, fuel injectors tested for leaks, maf sensor tested, and O2 sensor tested

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?