Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

What sensor should I check to turn off my chevy aveos airbag

Customer Question

what sensor should I check to turn off my chevy aveos airbag light? I already changed the crash sensor and the red airbag light is still on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here today.

What needs to be done since there are so many sensors and components in the air bag system that will turn on this warning is to have a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers to read out the air bag fault codes.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know.In some cases places like Auto Zone will read out codes free of charge just make sure they read out the air bag codes.

I have seen the steering wheel coil fail and cause this most commonly needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no codes when I hook it up to the computer and the engine light Is not on either
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Is the computer or scan tool being used one that has the ability to communicate with the air bag computer as some cheaper scan tools do not have the ability to read the air bag codes.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A machanic hooked it up for us so I'm not sure
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,if the red air bag warning is on then there is a fault code set.This will require a scan tool that can communicate with the airbag computer to locate and repair this here.Most likely either the incorrect type of scan tool was used and no codes came up and a different scan tool is needed or there are no codes and the light coming on indicates a fault with the instrument cluster with it needing removed and repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where can we get a scanner like that?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

They can be expensive to purchase usually over $1000 for one but in some cases a local parts store might check the air bag fault codes free of charge.Once this is done the code set will need diagnosed and then repaired.Usually the code will point out the component at fault needing replaced.

If you want I can recommend a scan tool for you to purchase but they are over $1000.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would I be able to change the airbag light bulb
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is this the bulb in the instrument cluster you are trying to replace?If so this bulb is soldered to the circuit board in the instrument cluster and cannot be replaced seperately unless it is replaced by a repair center that works on this model here.The instrument cluster would need removed and taken apart for inspection and then the bulb removed and replaced using a solder iron and the correct wattage bulb.Usually the instrument cluster needs sent in to a repair center that works on the electronics in it to repair this here.

Thanks Pete