Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Names Virgil, Have 2004 Colorado. Mech, says fuel tank has

Customer Question

Customer: Names Virgil, Have 2004 Colorado. Mech, says fuel tank has crack on top of it, it takes a special socket to change the plugs and the thermostat cost 200 dollars. Now, being a mechanic on a contract where I do not have to be certified, I think I can change some things myself. I am just curios about the cost and ability it takes to change these things.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mechanic says when doing a smoke test, there is smoke coming from top of tank, cannot verify unless tank is dropped. Mech. says need new plugs according to trouble codes, also according to the codes, truck needs a new thermostat, truck has been having slight cooling issues. I do not have the code readout from the mechanic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

to change the spark plugs and the thermostat are very straight forward to change

as for the fuel tank being removed you will need a lift or the truck up enough in the air to use a jack with a gas tank adapter and safety strap to lower the tank out of the truck

have you removed a gas tank before ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer