Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Intermittent heat some times hot sometimes cold, radiator is

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** intermittent heat some times hot sometimes cold, radiator is full, hose is hot going into heater and warm coming out 2000 chevy 6.0 liter 2500
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when it is hot air coming out driving, it changes to cool air for no reason sitting at a light air cools off until i start going.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 11 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely there is low flow through the heater core when the vehicle is at idle. Both heater hoses should be hot when the engine coolant is at least 180°F. You can back flush the heater core and see is the heaters performance improves. Also inspect the radiator tank nipple that feeds the surge tank. If the radiator is missing the surge tank restriction orifice, there will be an increased amount of coolant flow to the surge tank. The restriction orifice is molded into the nipple that feeds the radiator surge tank. The restrictor orifice is recessed approximately 2" inside of the nipple, is 5/64" in diameter.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.