rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

The popping noise is associated with the steering. The sound

Customer Question

Customer: Yes the popping noise is associated with the steering. The sound occurs, as mentioned intermittingly. The events are when backing up and turning the steering column, does not matter whether it is to the right or left. But it does not do this all the time. I have noticed that when parking on a hill and backing up while turning the steering wheel the popping noise does occur more often. Then again, it happens when I back out of my drive way which is on a level plain. Ambient temperature is with no regard to the event.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Was that not enough detail?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: tell me more about "experts" and their answer. What type of mechanics? Do they specialize in steering issues, and do they have statistics, facts, and examples to support their analysis and/or claims.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: you did not answer my question
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It would be helpful to know what kind of car this is, but generally speaking, and in most cases, these popping noises are associated with trans to axle looseness or axle shafts.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you able to access the type of response that I initial supplied? If not, that is okay, the vehicle is a 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Premium Edition. The motor is a 6.2 liter, 440 hp,***** The popping noise is associated with the steering. The sound occurs, as mentioned intermittingly. The events associated with the popping noise occur when backing up and turning the steering column simultaneously as well as when starting from a stopped or parked position and then steering to move into traffic and moving out slowly. It does not matter whether the turning is to the right or left. The speed of the vehicle is slow may 1 to 2 mph when backing out of the drive way or moving forward into traffic. Of course the popping noise does not occur all the time. I have noticed that when parking on a hill and backing up while turning the steering wheel the popping noise does occur more often. Then again, it happens when I back out of my drive way which is on a level plain. Ambient temperature is with no regard to the event. I am not a mechanic, but am relatively familiar with fixing a tire, checking and changing oil, checking air, changing brakes, etc.
Excuse the delay the internet is a bit slow.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

This is driveline related and should be checked on a lift with someone in the car, in the air while doing different drive/shifting tasks while someone on the ground is observing the results of the suggested tasks. The noise will obviously get worse over time, but we need to attack it now so nothing gets ruined because of it.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case we need to chat again about this in the future.