Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My 2008 chevy equinox trunk won't open
, not sure what

Customer Question

Customer: hi. my 2008 chevy equinox trunk won't open
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not sure what else to say. Went into the store and came back out and it wouldn't open. Another thing that happened at same time was that my car wouldnt come out of park either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this actually a trunk or a liftgate/tailgate?

Are you trying to open it with a button from the inside of the vehicle a remote key fob or using the key?

Have you checked the fuse/s?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to lift it by a button on the outside of the trunk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mechanic checked the fuses and said that they were all ok except the flasher unit. Maybe I should take it to another garage you think?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would either have the codes retrieved from the body control module to help diagnose this problem or for now just try a new liftgate relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If your mechanic wants to further troubleshoot why the liftgate won't work, here is a troubleshooting guide