AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My 2006 Chevy Silverado's heater is blowing cold air when

Customer Question

Hi my 2006 Chevy Silverado's heater is blowing cold air when idle or driving through streets. It only heats up when giving it gas on the freeway. But as soon as I let off the gas the heater goes cold again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Have you first checked your coolant level to make sure that you aren't a little low? you could be low enough to not allow adequate coolant flow through your heater core, but not so low that your engine overheats. Check the coolant level first. If your coolant level is good, check to see if the two hoses going into the firewall are both hot. They are about an inch in diameter and go to your heater core. If they are not hot, or only one is hot while the other is warm or even cool, then you have a plugged heater core that will need to be back flushed. Please check those two things to start with and let me know what you find.