Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

97 chevy express, on driver side the tail light and brake

Customer Question

Customer: 97 chevy express, on driver side the tail light and brake light burn but very dim, and only on one side of the bulb
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when tail lights are on I press brake and they don't burn at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

In most cases if the bulb is burning dim that usually indicates a bad ground with either the socket or the ground wire to it. The socket gets it ground on the black wire. Start with checking power and ground inside of the socket and if you have battery voltage at the light terminal then check the ground going into the socket. Its very likely you are going to need to replace the socket if you have a good ground to it. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.