GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Replaced my car battery and my info lights on the dash come

Customer Question

Hey so replaced my car battery and my info lights on the dash come in but doesn't show any of the info besides my total miles... Also I can turn the key all the way to the right but it won't start yo at all... I think it's the anti theft system
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name?

First off can I get your Vin? There may be a recall that will help.

As for security, there is no security that will prevent the key from rotating all the way, that’s what the cut of the key is for. So lets see about matt Vin first please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Chris###-##-####ast 9 digts

Ok Chris, last 8 work. So the recall was done. So no recalls left. So lets look deeper.

You replaced the battery, did that all start after replacing the battery or was the key doing that before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I replaced the batter the car dies and my key got stuck in the ignition.. After I switched to the new battery it wouldn't turn over at all it would just turn on the heater and my info screen in the dash...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't turn at all and the info on my dash doesn't show you irs all blank and missing

Ok, if the key does not turn at all then we need to address that first. Are you doing this work yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment yes j was thinking about taking it into the dealership but I if I can do I myself is rather save the money

Understood. SO does tapping on the key with a screwdriver or working it around while wiggling the steering wheel change it at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The isn't stuck I can put the key in and pull it out just fine... I can turn the key all the way over but nothings happens I'll see about wiggling the steering wheel

Ok, I misunderstood. It turns but nothing happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key turns yes but nothing happens no, the engine doesn't start. Just the info bar on my dash comes on and I can turn my heater on also my headlights and cab light doesn't turn on

Ok, that does help. Understanding is good. Can you check the 2 amp fuses in the dash fuse block next please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can what should I be looking for exactly

Make sure the fuse is not popped. That small fuse feeds most of the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They aren't popped

Ok are there any fuses popped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Ok. Lets try a reset.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

This reset is more about touching the cables together when off the battery than taking them off. The act of touching them drains the capacitors and forces it to reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright ill try that

If that does not and you find no burnt fuses, loose connections or cables you missed at the battery then the surge when you put the battery back on may have damaged the Body Control Module (BCM).