GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Need help chasing down intermittent instrument cluster

Customer Question

Need help chasing down intermittent instrument cluster off/on while driving. Sometimes it stays on for weeks, then suddenly goes off for days at a time. When it comes back on, there is a startup sound, like motors turning and switches being 'reset'. Don't know if there's a module under the dash that does this. At the very least, can you point me to wiring diagrams/schematics for the 04 Silverado? This problem seems similar to a loose ground wire, or poor power connections, such as fittings are fatigued.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Hello sir I am Reggie thanks for the question. Man i have seen this a million times. Remove your cluster and have it sent off for repairs. The solder joints inside it break, Advance is a good place to swap it out i havent had a problem with them so far it is cheaper than the dealer.