BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Name is issue is a 2008 chev uplander 3.9 hard cold start

Customer Question

Customer: name is ***** ***** is a 2008 chev uplander 3.9 hard cold start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: fuel pressure is in spec ect seems to be in range after it does start and runs for a minute it continues to start well its just the initial cold start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the engine cranks over fine and it just won't start or does it act like a dead battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks over great. And starts great after it runs for a minute. Just the initial cold start it cranks long and hard starts.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. And does it do this every time it sits over night?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems too.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

And I know that you mentioned that fuel pressure is in spec. Does it hold over night?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked it overnight but it hard started while I left it sit for awhile and it was holding between 50-60psi
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You need to check the crank sensor signal with a scan tool when this occurs to see if it is picking that up. If not replace the sensor. If it is then you either have an issue with the ignition switch or more commonly the body control module. These fail all of the time on this vehicle and will delay the start. In some cases reprogramming the module at the dealer will take care of it and in others it will need to be replaced.