Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2001 ss 3.8. It starts up fine but after that it is

Customer Question

I have a 2001 monte carlo ss 3.8. It starts up fine but after that it is hard to start. You have to give it gas and it will start but need to keep rpms up for about a min. or it will stop if you try to let it idel ro put in gear. We have replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Crankshaft sensor, maf sensor, map senser, throttle control sensor, fuel regulator. I have had it at the dealer and firestone but they dont know what is wrong.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the most common issue for this is the idle air control motor on the throttle body. if you have to move the accelerator pedal. it s an indication of the position being wrong with the idle air control valve.

is the check engine light on???

Roy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No light comes on no codes. When you first start up you just turn the key and it starts up fine. After thst it is hard to start.
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

I would remove the idle air control, hook it back up outside the throttle body and cycle the key to the on position and see if the pindle on the end of the motor moves

Roy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My wife is at work with the car now. I will try that tomorrow when i get off. I did replace that about 2 years ago and i had a used one i tried but both had same results. Ill give it a try and let you know.
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I tried the idel air control like you told me and the plunger shot out of the unit. It wound not go back in. Got a new one and put on. Ill let you know tomorrow if that helped.
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I thought that might be it seeing it came apart the way it did but that was not the problem. Still need to give it gas and keep rpms up for about 30 seconds before you can get it in gear. Any other ideas
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

check the passages in the throttle body to be sure they are clean where the idle air control goes

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They seemed ok i sprayed them with throttle body spray also.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

can you verify tps voltage with key and engine off???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not had time to check the voltage, with xmas and all. I will try to get it done tomorrow evening. We are still having the same problem. I will let you know when i get it done.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

ok