GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 1994 Camaro and the speedometer is not working

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a 1994 Camaro and the speedometer is not working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is a manual transmission,and I was told it was the sensor, I was also told that part is discontinued,I was also told that it could cause the sputtering and back firing issue that I am having right now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 12 months ago.

Hello, very sorry for the delay, I logged on this evening to see your open question, Can you tell me, have you done or tried anything?What engine do you have? what part were you told discontinued?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It is the 3.4 L engine. I did replace the wires and spark plugs so far.

hello again, so speedo quit working? and it is not running good? did this happen at same time? also, I still need to know what sensor you were told that is discontinued?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was told the sensor on the transmission for the speedo was discontinued
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I bought the car and replaced the motor with the same type ,the injector rail had to be replaced as couldn't find the original, i was told is now leaking and one of the injectors was sticking,there has always been a hesitation when accelerating. The check engine light came on intermittently so changed the plugs etc.. The light went off for a few mins and the car ran better but still has hesitation. The car was also back firing and well having mini explosions as it sounded like that.it doesn't do it now until it warms up. I know a lot of problems there. It was suggested that that sensor might cause some of those problems as well as the coil pack too.

I will need to opt out, another expert should be along soon to help

Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 12 months ago.

Good morning I'm Reggie. May I begin by asking you what part you have been told is disabled? If you are talking about the speed sensor uou have been told wrong, and I have never seen a faulty speed sensor cause your complaint. Have you had the car scaneed for codes? What is fuel pressure?