GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2007 chevy 2500 when inthe front end binds up and

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2007 chevy 2500 when in*****the front end binds up and stops the vehicle when I turn the wheels could this be the clutch pack in transfer case not allowing slip
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Veh comes to a stop when in*****and turning wheels like something is binding up check axle the look good
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

i am sorry for the long wait

2wd the truck is fine ?

going straight in 4WD will it do this but just not as bad as when turning ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seems ok In 4wd it is really bad in 4wd brings vehicle to stop I took The front Drive shaft out engaged 4wd drive to see if it was front axle assy and it was fine normal 4wd lag that is why I thinkit is in the transfer case clutch pack not letting drive shaft slip?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

that is exactly what is going on

the issue is going to be dirty or low transfer case fluid causing the clutch pack to not be able to slip as it should which when will it not it will bind and cause this issue

replacing the transfer case fluid with AUTOTRAKII fluid and driven a few miles should correct this issue which is very common on these transfer caes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not Synthetic ATF?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

only synthetic equivalent to the AUTOTRAKII fluid as there are additives in the AUTOTRAKII made for treating these transfer case internal clutch disc's

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does Castrol Synthetic transmax cover this?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

no

use AUTOTRAKII fluid

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do I get that GM?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

yes or the equivalent at a local auto parts store they can cross over what the same fluid of AUTOTRAKII is that they sell

as long as it says its the same as AUTOTRAKII or made for transfer cases with clutches in it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do the cutch Packs ever seize together in these
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was told that this is Dexron 6 in there that's what they want to sell me Is that Correct ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Licensed and approved for use in:
All GM vehicles (DEXRON®-VI, DEXRON®-III, DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-II-D, DEXRON®)
All Ford vehicles requiring MERCON® LV
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

they usually do not seize if they do it would do this in 2WD also as they would be locked on

ok but they do not use any dextron fluid in the transfer case on these trucks

the transfer case fluid is different called AUTOTRAKII

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok My Truck Does not have auto 4wd It is nob with 2 high 4high and 4 low on it Is that the same?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

that is correct your truck does not but there still are clutches inside the transfer case that must have the AUTOTRAKII fluid put in it to correct this issue

if you change the fluid and it does not get better after 50 miles or so of driving then the clutches are binding inside the case and would need to be replaced but to this day i have only seen one that needed the clutches replaced for this issue most with clutch failures have an issue of not supplying power by locking out the front drive shaft from the case to the front axle

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I will Try it and get back to you Thank You
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

anytime

you can always get me back through this post any time for FREE for any follow up even after you rate us here

as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I called GM Dealer they say it is Dexron vi This makes no sence Not AUTOTRAKII What Do you Think?
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Cam. Can I give you a hand?

On your transfer case I'm not sure if Garry is thinking of the right transfer case. Yours does not use clutch pack and therefore doesn't use AutoTrak fluid. It does use dex 6. Without a clutch pack, yours uses a synchronizer much like that in a manual transmission to operate and lock in the front driveshaft. Because of that, you won't get any slip when you're turning sharp in four-wheel-drive..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do you think can be the problem?

Well, let's discuss this. Did you change tires? Are they all the exact same size, brand and wear?

Are you turning on dry ground?

How does it do in 4wd while going straight? Are you still interested in a phone call?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
phone call would be great

OK, posting the request. I am heading out for supper, but will be back in an hour and can call you then if that is ok.