GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I I am ***** *****. My 2004 Chevy pickup seems to have an

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I I am ***** *****. My 2004 Chevy pickup seems to have an air lock issue so it won't start. This happened once before earlier this year and a mechanic came out and opened a couple things under the hood but I don't know exactly what he did. But whatever it was, the truck started right up again.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well the truck won't start. It started reluctantly, then stopped a few feet down the driveway. Exactly the same thing that happened earlier this year and had a very simple fix.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. In the meantime I will look around online and if I don't find anything else, I will pay the fee.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is a Duramax diesel
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

This website says that you have requested me specifically. May I ask why did you request me or did you even request me? Have I worked with you before?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did not request you specifically.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

Ok, the reason I asked is that I am not a Diesel expert and I see you only had the one post. I will opt out of this, cause like I said, I am not a Diesel expert. Although instead of waiting I could look up perhaps what that mechanic did do and I'm willing to bet he bled the air out of the fuel system.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That could be.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

Here is the procedure,

Bleeding The Fuel System

1. Open the air bleed valve on the fuel manager/filter.

2. Connect a hose to the air bleed valve and place the other of the hose in a suitable container.

CAUTION

The Diesel/water mixture is flammable and may be hot. To avoid personal injury or property damage, do not allow the Diesel/water mixture to come in contact with skin, open flame or a hot engine. Do not overfill the container holding the fuel mixture as heat from a warm engine or any another heat source may cause the fuel to expand and leak from the container that may lead to a fire.

3. Remove the F/SOL fuse from the fuse panel.

4. Crank the engine in short intervals of 10-to-15 seconds until clear fuel is observed at the air bleed hose (wait for 1 minute between cranking intervals)

5. Remove the hose and close the air bleed valve.

6. Install the F/SOL fuse and start the vehicle. Allow the vehicle to run at idle for 5 minutes.

7. Check for fuel leaks, and clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I know the mechanic did not do anything that involved - he didn't use any tools at all. I think I'd rather speak with a diesel expert.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 12 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. I am a diesel expert with GM. Can I still help you?