GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2006 chevy silerado 3500 dual wheel truck with a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevy silerado 3500 dual wheel truck with a intermitten banging noise on normal acceration. The noise becomes louder when i slighty touch the brakes.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name pleasE?

With your noise, where do you hear it from?
Does it happen repeatedly?
Does the frequency of it change with speed? Load?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jack , to me it sounds the it is on the right, towrds the rear. Yesterday it happen twice within 5 miles. From a start with normal acceleration it will start to bang around 40 mph and the faster you go the bang will subside, While it is banging I put slight pressure on brakes it becomes louder.

Does it bang like something hitting the wheel? Does applying the brakes aside form the normal change when slowing down change it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, the noise is similar to a wheel hop noise, but truck doesn't vibrate like a wheel hop. the only change when braking ,is the volume of the bang, my wife rode with me yesterday and she says the sound is more toward the left side ( my hearing isn't like it used to be).

Ok, I would look to an issue with the drive shafts then or mounts. What I suggest is you lift and support the vehicle. Then start the truck and put it in gear, let it idea and watch the drive shaft. See if there is any hoping, bends or movement.
If that is good, remove the drive shafts and check for tight u-joints or stiff movement.
Check the engine and transmission mounts to see if any are loose.
Check for loose shocks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have done all but check the shocks. The center (carrier) bearing and rear u joint has been replaced . The other u joints are smooth and tight. Both pinion bearings have been replaced also. I will check the shocks later when the truck gets back home thanks

Run it lifted though, watching the shaft movement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i will give a try also,

Ok, let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i will keep you posted thanks

Ok