EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
34559540

06 cobalt. Cuts out at a stop. Push gas pedal and does

Customer Question

06 cobalt. Cuts out at a stop. Push gas pedal and does nothing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Are you talking the motor shuts right off at a stop? Or the vehicle remains idling and pushing on the gas does nothing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At a stop light or sign. It sputters rpms Rev up with foot on brake. Go to push gas pedal it stalls. After restart push gas pedal it Jerks and sputters and takes forever to get up to speed
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Its common to get a vacuum leak from the intake manifold gaskets. I would first check all the vacuum lines and the intake manifold gaskets by spraying brake cleaner on the intake gaskets and check for an rpm fluctuation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light. Vacuum is good. On dash the display says check charge system.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That light could be because there actually is a charging system problem, or because the rpms are dipping down to almost stalling and a charging system code has been set. The next thing to try would be to disconnect the Mass Air Flow sensor on the air intake and see if any difference is made in its running quality.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took off throttle body. Cleaned out with brake cleaner. Disconnected mass air flow sensor. Ran fine 4 a couple weeks. What is charging system. Got new alternator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you need a throttle body, if you cleaned it and was fine for a while. If you want to check your charging system you need a voltmeter. Check what the battery voltage is while running.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for viewing my response. Please let me know how you are making out with your problem. Also please rate my service and have a great Holiday!