BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Our car overheated today, so we pulled it over and parked

Customer Question

Our car overheated today, so we pulled it over and parked it. I tried to start it, and now there is no electrical power. There are no lights, and the car won't even turn over. The high beam indicator light goes on and off, and there is some kind noise like something cycling on and off. Also, the key won't come out of the ignition. It is in park, and I tried wiggling the key and turning the steering wheel. Also I tried disconnecting the battery but that didn't work. Any idea what's wrong? Is it possible that when it overheated it set off some safety lock feature or something?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There is no special feature that locks the car down in the case of an overheat. More than likely what occurred is that the heat under the hood got so high that it caused a possibly marginal battery to fail. You either need to try jumping it or have the battery tested, but if the engine got too hot then you might have further engine issues. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bobby. I'll try jumping it. Is there any way to get it out of park? I can't leave my car where it is. I need to push it somewhere if It doesn't jump start. How about the key? It won't come out of the ignition so I can't lock the door.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

The only way to do so would be to give it some power through a jump start or jumper pack. You cannot release the shifter either without power unless you take the shifter apart. Unfortunately GM does not build them like Honda to where you can insert the key and release it.