Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I took the front lower control arms of my 1967 Camaro to

Customer Question

I took the front lower control arms of my 1967 Camaro to replace springs. Now I can't get the arms to pivot up after replacing springs. So I put the old springs back in and snugged the bolts, it still won't pivot. I then loosened the upper control arms. Still won't pivot. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Are you using a spring compressor? If not it is nearly impossible to get them in

The best kind to use mounts internal to the spring and can be removed out the bottom after spring insulation. And even with the compressor it is still a job to get them in. Be careful

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The springs are in, that's not the question. The arms won't pivot after putting springs in

The arms want pivot? As in they are locked and u have no suspension travel? Before you replaced the springs everything was fine?

You say you removed the lower control arms, did you tighten the mounting bolts for control arm bushings before you lowered the car down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no suspension travel. Everything was fine until I screwed it up. No, I didn't tighten mounting bolts before lowering car. I just snugged them. Could the new spindle and ball joints throw the castor and cantor off? would this prevent suspension travel?

First off don't be so hard on yourself. Now these spindles are they stock are were you lowering the car? I was thinking about your problem and I remember a 67 firebird we built, and my helper had installed the spindles upside down or on the wrong side can't remember which, but front end was locked tooK me a minute to figure it out. Is that possible here? Now as far as the ball joints they would not effect that much if wny. Did you remove the upper control arms or just lower?

Have you put tires on and let the car down?

I bet your car is nice it says u have the 396 U know I have always wanted one I have built so many of them. Like I said earlier don't get frustrated or be hard on yourself, hey man its hot rodding if it was easy everybody be doing it. If I need to call you or something let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put it down on the tires and the front end stayed 2inches higher than normal. I tried to drive it but the wheels went squirrely. Stock spindles, not lowered. Did not remove upper arm, just lower. I think the spindles are on correctly but will double check in the morning. I have had a very stressful day with the Camaro and said some cruel thing to it. It will hate me in the morning, Reggie!

Do you hAve the springs clocked peoperly? Meaning the spring turned where end of the bottom coil is lined up with notch in lower a frame? This could be your problem. And here's another thing you should know when you remove these springs and reinstall when you first put off jack it sits a lo t higher than normal can you drive it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The springs are clocked. It does sit higher off the jacks, can't drive it like that because of death wobble. I guess it's out of suspension alignment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The control arms pivot fine until I hook them up to the spindle and then it won't pivot. Apparently, the upper control arm needs to be reshimmed to get it in alignment.

sorry it has been a mad house here today. Is there any way you can put me some pictures on here of this. When you say death wobble what do you mean is it Loose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try reshimming the top control arms in a few days. Will let you know what happens. Thanks

Did you keep up with the shims and where they went? Honestly I dont think that is your problem, it is hard for me not being able to see the car, and i can only go by mistakes I have seen myself and others make. The death wobble you spoke of has me concerned? Have you tried to move the car at all?