JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

My name is ***** *****. Im having an issue with my 08 chevy

Customer Question

Customer: Hello. My name is ***** *****. Im having an issue with my 08 chevy express 2500. While driving, the spedometer will drop to zero and the abs light comes on. the motor revs but will not move the vehicle. I have to come to a complete stop and everything works fine. The problem seems to be worse on rainy days but happens on clear days too. The abs light stays on until the vehicle is turned off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I stop the vehicle the speedometer will jump a little.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 12 months ago.

have you scanned it for trouble codes?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I took it to the shop that handles all my work and they did. Since there was no lights on the dash, they couldnt get any trouble codes.

did they scan for history codes? it should retain in the system

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They didnt say. The check engine light never comes on only the abs light. does that matter?

The abs code should be stored they would need to use a abs capable scan tool..it should have a history code.. It sounds like a vehicle speed sensor failure..But scanning it just like a check engine light with the proper tool should show the fault

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok well i guess ill have to ask them how they scanned it or take it to another shop

yes I would start there.......................

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I called the shop and they did use an abs scan tool. They found no history codes and said it was probalbly a short and would have to be taken to the dealer

I would check the vss vehicle speed sensor