GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 chevy truck 4.8 starts and goes off about half

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevy truck 4.8 starts and goes off about half a second. started it using map sencor cleaner and it ran while feeding it. so I assumed it was fuel pump it was not
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

please explain,,the engine will start then die after a few second?correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a few seconds it starts and dies. every time. Before buying the fuel pump the Guy at Advanced auto said if the truck will start and run on the throttle body cleaner, your fuel pump is out. Sprayed and cleaned throttle body after trying to start, and it would not stay running. I then sprayed the cleaner in the throttle body and the truck ran. So I went down and got a new fuel pump. Still starts but will not run, starts for about 1/2 a second and dies.

ok,,does the security light stay on with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 Chevy Silverado ext cab LS 4.8 189,000 miles Prior to it not running it ran fine until you took your foot off the gas to stop and it would die. Took it to the local dealership which was a ford dealership, they put it on the diagnostic machine and said they could not find anything wrong. No the security light is not on. and no I am not calling you. right now I am pretty sure this is someone that knows nothing about cars

sir,i work on these every day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The add here said I would not be charged until I had answers and I have been charged already, and now you want me to call you for an additional amount. I still have no answer from you and you want more money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tell me what are the top three things it could be.

you dont seem to want help..

i will opt out,,maybe one of the other guys will help

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought as much I'll bet you never work on a car a day in your life, thanks for proving my point. I have no answer but you want more money. Good day Sir.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

As experts we don't have control over billing, that is the website. WE are third party contractors who log on and help.
I Can help you if you want, but I need to know if your ok with these conditions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your site says Satisfaction Guaranteed, If I get a reasonable answer I am ok with it. If I get something like what I just got from Tim, No I am not paying for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I pay for answers that's what I expect. Nothing more nothing less

I completely understand, and I completely agree. Let me review your conversation with TIM and get back to you shortly.
I just need you to know that we are third party to the site. I never see anything more that what you type in this part of the thread, EVER. No payment info or anything so I cannot control what happens in the back ground. I simply log on and between vehicles, answer questions. SO give me a few minutes to look and get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is what I have so far, no answers just questions No the security light is not on. can you see all the information I have sent so far

When you give it some throttle, does it remain running then?

Is there a remote starter installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No remote starter, and no It fires off and then dies every time

OK, Did you do any repairs prior to this? Ignition cylinder?
Anything in the steering column, cleaning? Did it get wet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had the transmission rebuilt way before this started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe 4 month before this started

Ok so no recent repairs, additions or ANYTHING, it started out of the blue?

If so, try this EXACTLY as listed.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.
This reset is more about touching the cables together when off the battery than taking them off. The act of touching them drains the capacitors and forces it to reset.

If it does not start, perform this relearn.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run.
Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.
After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.
It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.

During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.